DENVER/Aug. 2, 2023 — Morris Animal Foundation announced a new call for research proposals focused on the health and overall welfare of domestic cats, including community and pet cats.
This request for proposals encompasses four award types: Established Investigator, Pilot Study, First Award and Fellowship Training. This call is exclusively for projects involving domestic or community cats. Proposals involving wild cat species will not be considered.
Interested researchers can find more information, including proposal documents, on the Foundation’s Grants page. The submission deadline for proposals is 4:59 p.m. ET, Oct. 11, 2023.
Award categories are as follows:
- Established Investigator awards are designed to provide funding for research by individuals and teams with a previous record of research and publication.
- First Award grants assist new faculty in establishing a successful research program.
- Pilot Award grants provide funding for innovative ideas to accelerate discovery and advance Morris Animal Foundation’s mission.
- Fellowship Training grants are designed to assist new investigators in launching a successful research career by providing salary support in a quality mentoring environment.
All applicants must convince the scientific and animal welfare reviewers that they clearly understand the health problem, possess sufficient expertise to conduct the study, can implement a scientifically sound approach, and consider the overall environmental impact of their research.
Scientific Advisory Board
- Chair: Sheilah Roberston, BVMS (Hons), PhD, DECVAA, DACAW, DECAWBM (WSEL), CVA, MRCVS Lap of Love Veterinary Hospital
- Thomas Rosol, DVM, PhD, MBA, DACVP, FIATP, Ohio University
- Celeste Allaband, DVM, PhD, UC San Diego
- Santosh Mishra, PhD, CVM/North Carolina State Univ.
- Drew Weigner, DVM, DABVP, EveryCat
- Karen Overall, VMD, PhD, DACVB, University of Prince Edward Island
- Dominque Griffon, DVM, MS, PhD, DACVS, DECVS, Western Univeristy
- Lenore M. Bacek, DVM, MS, DACVECC, Blue Pearl Speaciality & ER Hospitals
- Paulo Steagall, DVM, MS, Phd, DACVAA, Universite de Montreal
- Jessica Quimby DVM, PhD, DACVIM, The Ohio State Univiersity
- Kai-Biu Shiu, BVMS, MRCVS, DACVIM (Oncology), VCA Pet Cancer Care
About Morris Animal Foundation
Morris Animal Foundation’s mission is to bridge science and resources to advance the health of animals. Founded in 1948 and headquartered in Denver, it is one of the largest nonprofit animal health research organizations in the world, funding nearly $160 million in more than 3,000 critical animal health studies to date across a broad range of species. Learn more at morrisanimalfoundation.org.
Media Contact: Annie Mehl