Back to All Studies

Metaldehyde is an organic compound that is commonly used as a pesticide against slugs and snails. When dogs eat slug and snail baits, they suffer from metaldehyde intoxication, which causes toxicity and significant illness and death. Because no antidote is available for this intoxication, a new therapy for metaldehyde poisoning is critical. Researchers will evaluate three blood purification techniques for their potential to treat metaldehyde intoxication in dogs. These treatments are expected to quickly and effectively remove metaldehyde from the blood of dogs that have metaldehyde poisoning. Applying these treatments could lead to faster recovery and improve the survival rate for affected dogs.

Study ID
Study Status
Start Date
Grant amount awarded
Grant recipient
University of Munich
Study country
Elisabeth Mauser, DVM, Mag. med. vet.
Study category