Pets are cherished members of the family. Unfortunately, one of the inevitable parts of having a beloved pet is saying goodbye. Friends and family can comfort you in this time of need, but they may not understand the depths of your loss. These websites and hotlines offer resources on dealing with the grief of losing a beloved pet.
- Michigan State University, College of Veterinary Medicine, Pet Loss Support Group 517.432.2696
- University of Florida, College of Veterinary Medicine, Pet Loss Support Hotline 352.294.4430
- If someone is not available to talk with you when you call, your call will be returned within 24 hours on weekdays. Weekend calls will be returned on Monday.
- Tufts University, Pet Loss Support Hotline 508.839.7966
During the academic year, call Monday through Friday, 6:00 p.m.–9:00 p.m. EST. Times vary during the summer. Messages left during off-hours will be returned, at no cost to the caller, during the next normal hotline shift.
- Cornell University, College of Veterinary Medicine, Pet Loss Support Hotline 607.253.3932
Tuesday through Thursday, 6:00 p.m.–9:00 p.m. EST
- C.A.R.E. (Companion Animal Related Emotions) Helpline (University of Illinois Veterinary Teaching Hospital)
Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays, 7:00 p.m.–9:00 p.m. CST
- The Chicago Veterinary Medical Association, Pet Loss Helpline and Wings, a Pet Loss Support Group 630.325.1600
- Iowa State University
September through April: 7 days a week, 6:00 p.m.–9:00 p.m. CST
May through August: Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, 6:00 p.m.–9:00 p.m. CST
- University of Tennessee College of Veterinary Medicine
- Companion Animal Association of Arizona, Inc.
- The Argus Institute for Families and Veterinary Medicine
Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m. MST
- The Human Animal Bond Trust (HABT)
- University of California–Davis, School of Veterinary Medicine, Center for Animals in Society
- Washington State University
Monday through Thursday, 7:00 p.m.–9:00 p.m. PST
Saturday, 1:00 p.m.–3:00 p.m. PST
Calls received after hours will be promptly returned on a collect basis.
- Pacific Animal Therapy Society (P.A.T.S.)
Daily, 8:00 a.m.–9:00 p.m. PST
All long-distance calls are returned collect.
Additional Pet Loss Resources